Official Rules for the Expedia and Kenya Tourism “Can You Kenya?” Sweepstakes
No Purchase Necessary To Enter or Win. A Purchase will not Increase Your Chances of Winning.
Information on how to enter, the prizes and rules for redeeming the prizes form part of the terms and conditions of entry for the Sweepstakes. Participation in the Sweepstakes is deemed to be acceptance of these Official Rules (“Official Rules”) and any other notices referenced herein.
In these Official Rules, the term “you” refers to any person who enters, or who wishes to enter, the Sweepstakes.
- Eligibility: The Expedia and the Kenya Tourism Board “Can You Kenya” Sweepstakes (“Sweepstakes”) is open only to legal residents of the United States (“US”), Canada (excluding Quebec), United Kingdom (“UK”), Australia, and South Africa who are at least the age of majority and at least eighteen (18) years old or older at the time of entry. Employees of Expedia, Inc. (“Sponsor”), Kenya Tourism (“Kenya Tourism”), and each of their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, prize suppliers and advertising/promotion agencies as well as the immediate family members (spouse, parents, siblings, and children, and each of their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) and household members (whether or not related) of those employees, are not eligible to enter.
- Entry Period: The Sweepstakes begins at 12:01 am PST on Monday, August 6, 2018 and ends at 11:59 pm PST on Friday, August 10, 2018 (the “Entry Period”).
1. Entries submitted before or after the relevant Entry Period will not be eligible. Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Sweepstakes.
- How to Enter: During the Entry Period, to enter the Sweepstakes you must complete the following steps:
a. Follow How Far From Home (@howfarfromhome) on Instagram;
b. Or access the competition through one of the dedicated microsites and link through to the influencer page; and,
c. Vote for your preference on the @howfarfromhome live daily Instagram stories poll.
Participation is subject to Sponsor’s Terms of Service. When you enter, you are providing information to Sponsor. No purchase necessary.
Note: All entries will have an equal chance of winning.
How Far From Home will provide to Sponsor a list of entrants after each individual days poll, for the entire Entry Period (5 days in total).
By entering the Promotion and submitting an entry you agree that such entry is deemed to be non-confidential and non-proprietary, and the Promoter shall have no obligation of any kind with respect to such entries.
- Entry Requirements: Entrants may submit a maximum of five (5) entries per person, (one (1) entry per person per day) during the Entry Period. You may only use one (1) email address to enter the Sweepstakes. Any entries in excess of the stated limitation will be automatically disqualified and the Sponsor may, in its absolute discretion, disqualify such entrant’s participation in the Sweepstakes. Entries submitted by any other method other than the method listed above in Section 3 will be automatically deemed invalid and will not be entered into the Sweepstakes. Entries generated by script, macro or other automated means or practices, and entries by any means which subvert the entry process are void.
- Random Drawing: On 14 August 2018 at 10:00 am PT (6:00 pm British Summer Time) at the Expedia Office, located at 333 108th Avenue NE, Bellevue, Washington 98004 USA, Sponsor will select one (1) potential Sweepstakes winner in a random drawing (a “Draw”) from among all eligible entries received and combined throughout the US, Canada, UK, Australia and South Africa during the Entry Period. The odds of being selected as the potential winner depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- Potential Winner Requirements: The potential Prize winner will be required to execute and return to Sponsor a declaration of eligibility, a liability release (which releases Sponsor, its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates, and their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) from any and all liability in connection with this Sweepstakes and/or the awarding and use/misuse of the Prize or any portion thereof) and where lawful, a publicity release within ten (10) days of date of issuance. If documents are not returned within the specified time period, prize notification is returned as undeliverable, Sponsor is unable to contact the potential winner or the potential winner is not in compliance with these Official Rules, prize will be forfeited and, at Sponsor’s discretion, an alternate potential winner may be selected by random drawing from among all remaining eligible entries received.
- Winner Notification: Potential winner will be notified via Instagram DM and asked to provide Sponsor with email. If the potential Prize winner is a Canadian resident, he or she will be required to: (a) correctly answer a mathematical skill-testing question without mechanical or other aid (which may, in the sole and absolute discretion of the Sponsor, be administered online, by email or other electronic means, by telephone, or in the Sponsor’s form of declaration and release); and (b) execute and return to Sponsor a declaration of eligibility, a liability release (which releases Sponsor, its respective parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates, and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, representatives, successors and assigns (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from any and all liability in connection with this Sweepstakes and/or the awarding and use/misuse of the Prize or any portion thereof) and a publicity release by 30 September 2018. Section (b) above applies to all winners, not only Canadian residents. If a potential Prize winner: (a) fails to correctly answer the skill-testing question; (b) fails to return the properly executed Sweepstakes documents within the specified time; (c) cannot accept (or is unwilling to accept) the Prize (as awarded) for any reason; and/or (d) is determined to be in violation of these Official Rules (all as determined by the Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion); then he/she may, in the sole and absolute discretion of the Sponsor, be disqualified (and, if disqualified, will forfeit all rights to the Prize) and the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion and time permitting, to randomly select an alternate eligible entrant from among the remaining eligible Entries submitted and received during the applicable Entry Period (in which case the foregoing provisions of this section shall apply to such newly selected potential Prize winner). In the event the potential prize winner fails to claim his or her prize by 30 September 2018, or if there is a return of any notification as undeliverable, such potential prize winner will be deemed to have forfeited the prize and Sponsor will have no further obligation to such potential winner. If the prize is forfeited, the Sponsor will conduct a random draw from among all remaining eligible entries on 1 October 2018 at the same location as the original drawing to select a new potential winner. Such newly selected potential winner will be notified within two (2) business days of the drawing, using the contact details provided by that person when entering the Sweepstakes and will have until 31 October 2018 to claim his or her prize.
- Prize: One (1) potential winner will receive a prize consisting of round trip economy class airfare to Nairobi, Kenya for winner and one (1) guest from a major international commercial airport near the winner’s home to Kenya. Trip has a maximum total budget of $3,000 USD (approximate retail value “ARV”, converted to local currency). The prize may only be redeemed by the winner himself/herself plus one (1) guest chosen by winner and the winner and his/her guest may be required to present personal identification documents at check in to prove their identity.
Sponsor will work with winner to arrange travel. Travel must be booked by 31 October 2018 and must take place by 30 September 2019 or the prize will be forfeited. The prize is subject to availability of flights on the winner’s preferred dates. The winner will need to confirm availability.
No cancellation of reservation or transfer of reservation to another date will be permitted after reservation has been made.
Actual value of prize may vary based on destination, rates at time of booking and travel dates. Any difference between stated ARV and actual value will not be awarded. Winner and his/her guest must travel together on the same itinerary and are responsible for obtaining any required necessary documentation (i.e., valid passport, visas, etc.) prior to travel. Guest must be of legal age of majority in his/her jurisdiction of residence (and at least 18), unless the child or legal ward of a winner and must sign a liability/publicity release prior to issuance of travel documents. If guest is child or legal ward of a winner, winner must sign and return release on behalf of such child or legal ward.
Certain blackout dates and travel restrictions may apply. Winner is responsible for paying any applicable federal, provincial, state, local, income and withholding taxes, if any, and any and all other costs and expenses not listed herein as being provided, including but not limited to hotel accommodations, ground transportation, luggage fees, meals, beverages, hotel incidentals, souvenirs and gratuities. In the event that any tax withholding is required by law for the prize (or a portion thereof), winner authorizes Sponsor to make the corresponding deduction. Any prize details not specified above will be determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion. Sponsor will not be liable for any expenses incurred as a consequence of flight cancellations or delays. Sponsor will not be liable for any airline fees incurred as a consequence of changing or cancelling flight reservations. Sponsor will not replace any lost or stolen prizes or prize components. Winner may not transfer, assign or substitute a prize, or redeem a prize for cash, except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor, who reserves the right to substitute a prize (or portion thereof) with one of comparable or greater value. Prize is awarded “as is” without any warranty or guarantee, either express or implied by Sponsor. The prize is subject to and the winner must abide by the prize providers’ terms and conditions of booking, of carriage for the flights and of stay for the hotel.
- General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, proper play or administration of the Sweepstakes is impaired in any way, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, (a) suspend the Sweepstakes to address the impairment and then resume the Sweepstakes; or (b) terminate the Sweepstakes and award the prizes by random drawing from among all non-suspect, eligible entries received and combined up to the time of the termination. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify and seek any and all remedies available from any individual who tampers with the operation of the Sweepstakes, violates these Official Rules, or acts in a disruptive or unsportsmanlike manner. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Proof of sending any communication to Sponsor by mail or via the internet shall not be deemed proof of receipt of that communication by Sponsor. The Sweepstakes is subject to federal, state, provincial, and local laws and regulations, and is void outside of the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, South Africa and where prohibited.
- Release and Limitations of Liability: By entering, you agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, Kenya Tourism, their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Sweepstakes or receipt, use or misuse of any prizes and any portion thereof (including any travel/activity related thereto), including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Sweepstakes; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone, or network lines; (c) any errors on the Sweepstakes site that may impact entry; (d) printing errors; (e) lost, late, misdirected, garbled, inaccurate, or undeliverable entries, trivia games or mail; (f) errors in the administration of the Sweepstakes; or (g) injury or damage to persons or property. You further agree that in any cause of action, in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney’s fees. To the extent permitted by law, you waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
for Canadian entrants, https://www.expedia.ca/p/support/privacy;
for UK entrants, https://www.expedia.co.uk/p/support/privacy;
for Australia entrants, https://www.expedia.com.au/p/support/privacy;
and for South African entrants, https://www.expedia.com/p/info-other/privacy-policy.htm.
Kenya Tourism is responsible for privacy policies on its own website. Expedia agrees to ensure that all data collection through tags and data usage companies complies with (i) all applicable laws, including without limitation, all state and federal laws, corporate standards, policies, regulations, as well as the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) (collectively “Applicable Laws”) (ii) the principles, guidelines, rules and codes of conduct of self-regulatory organizations such as the Digital Advertising Alliance, the Interactive Advertising Bureau, the Direct Marketing Association, and other self-regulatory organizations to which third parties providing services, platforms, and data are bound, and any required notices and consents; and (iii) privacy disclosures and information collection requirements imposed on advertisers by targeting of media in order to comply with Applicable Laws. Where required by Applicable Laws, Expedia will deploy appropriate notices and functionality to obtain authorizations and consents as required.
- Disputes: You agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Sweepstakes or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in the State of Washington, USA.
- Choice of Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligation of participant and Sponsor in connection with the Sweepstakes, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Washington, (for residents of the United States), the laws of British Columbia, Canada, (for residents of Canada), the substantive laws of Wales, United Kingdom (for residents of the UK), the laws of New South Wales, Australia (for residents of Australia), and the laws of South Africa (for residents of South Africa) without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than that of the Entrant’s country of residence.
Notwithstanding anything elsewhere in these Official Rules, no person’s or entity’s liability for death or personal injury caused by its negligence shall be limited in any way, and nor shall their ability for fraud or for any other matter where liability may not as a matter of law be limited or excluded. Where these Official Rules provide for discretion exercisable by a Released Party that could otherwise be capable of causing a significant imbalance in the parties’ rights and obligation hereunder, to the detriment of a consumer and contrary to the requirement of good faith, shall be exercised reasonably and in good faith.
- Sponsor: The Sweepstakes is sponsored by Expedia, Inc., 333 108th Avenue NE, Bellevue, WA 98004, USA. Prize is provided by Kenya Tourism Board.
- Results: The winner will be announced on the How Far From Home Instagram channel and the following Expedia subdomains: